For the cake:
1/2 cup butter, softened
1&1/2 cup sugar
1&1/2 cup flour
9 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup coffee, cooled (I used hot chocolate, cooled)
1/2 cup milk
For the frosting:
1 cup butter, softened
6 cup powdered sugar
1/2 tsp peppermint extract
1/2 cup milk plus 2 tbsp
11 oz mini chocolate chips
1/8 tsp green food color gel
For the ganache:
3/4 cup heavy cream
1&1/2 semisweet chocolate morsels
1/4 tsp peppermint extract
1. In a medium bowl, sift cocoa with flour, salt, baking soda and baking powder, set aside; Mix coffee (or
hot chocolate) together. Set aside.
2. In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar for about 5 minutes until smooth. Beat in eggs one at a time. Slowly
add dry ingredients alternating with coffee(hot chocolate)/milk blend.
3. Pour cake batter into two baking pans (9-in round cake pan lined with parchment paper and greased,
floured). Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes. After baked, allow to cool before removing from pans.
Cool completely before frosting.
4. For frosting, in a large bowl, beat butter, powdered sugar and milk for 5 minutes. Add extract and food
coloring gel. Fold in chocolate chips. Blend well.
5. Frost first layer of cake, then top it with second layer. Completely frost sides and top of the cake.
6. For ganache, heat 3/4 cup heavy cream in saucepan. Bring to a boil and remove from heat. Place
chocolate chips in a bowl and pour hot cream and extract into the bowl. Stir until smooth and combined.
Pour over cake.