Thursday, August 11, 2011

Tuna deviled eggs

    Since I was a child, hard-cooked egg is one of the food I hate to eat. I remember my parents tried many ways to feed me eggs, but they never succeeded....
    The first time I saw deviled eggs was on an Easter Day two years ago when I was in New Paltz, New York. A church family made many hard-cooked eggs for kids to color. Then they made deviled eggs. I was amazed. I thought, if I was fed flavored hard-cooked eggs, I would never hate to eat them. Anyway, I love deviled eggs. I learned to make it from New Cookbook. The only thing is that I am still wondering where the name came from.... Anyone has the answer?

Tuna Deviled Eggs

6 hard-cooked eggs
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1 tsp yellow mustard
1 tsp lemon juice
1/4 cup flaked tuna
1 tbsp pickle relish
paprika and parsley if desired
   
    Halve hard-cooked eggs lenghwise and remove yolks. Set whites aside. Place yolks in a bowl, mash with fork. Add mayonnaise, mustard, lemon juice, tuna, relish,  mix well. Season with saly and black pepper if desired. Stuff egg white halves with yolk mixture. Cover and chill until serving time. Garnish with paprika and parsley.

1 comment:

  1. I found this definition of "deviled" in cooking: dark, rich, chocolate, spicy or stimulating, heavily seasoned, used to describe eggs, crab, cakes, and many other dishes.

    I also found this recipe for deviled chicken, as another example of deviled food.

    Deviled Chicken Cutlets

    4 chicken cutlets (6 ounces each)
    3 tablespoons mayonnaise
    3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
    1 teaspoon cho-*ound sage
    1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
    1/4 cup dried bread crumbs
    1/4 teaspoon salt

    Place oven rack in upper third of oven. Heat oven to 450°F.

    Line baking sheet with aluminum foil. Lightly coat foil with non-stick cooking spray. Place chicken pieces on the foil.

    Stir together the mayonnaise, mustard, garlic. Sage and pepper sauce in a small bowl until well blended. Brush evenly over top of chicken cutlets. Mix together the crumbs and salt in a small bowl. Sprinkle half of the crumbs evenly on top of the chicken. Turn chicken over and repeat brushing with mayonnaise mixture and sprinkling with the remaining crumbs.

    Bake in oven for 15 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink in center and crumbs are golden.

    Makes 4 servings.

    ReplyDelete